Sunday, 19 May 2013

Apocalypse Nuggets - Dandelions


Doom, Doom, Gloom.  Ok I feel better.
Actually I thought I might do something a little more useful. You know the world is headed for some major changes – Asteroid, Solar Flares, Zombies – Who knows from what or where. Although the thought of being the only one left in the world seems a little less stressful, I think it would be more fun to live under a bridge if there were people to scare and goats to eat.

I took some photos and thought I would share a bit of interesting easy to remember info about things that grow wild and are edible.

 
Dandelion if there was ever a beneficial weed in the world it is the Dandelion. I hope is makes it onto our favorite flowers list since many of our most lovely flowers found their start as weeds.  I cannot sing the praises of dandelions more.  It is a food worth examining before it is one of those things you do out of desperation.
Mr Culpepper Explains that the Dandelion is under the dominion of Jupiter and opens and cleanses the waters within.  A natural diuretic and useful in opening obstructions and cleansing the Liver, gall and spleen. All parts are edible (no not the body part – ew!).  Mr Culpepper was ahead of his time. 
Check out the nutritional value of one cup of raw dandelion greens, just 55 grams, dandelion greens.  I think you will be amazed. But don't limit yourself to just the greens try these other ways of making us of that omnipotent little treasure messing up your borring see of green grass.
I am thinking the biggest block to feasting on the neighborhood lawns or the field is … do dogs tread or cows graze. Still it is always  nice to know a little of the free foods in you community.  Learn a few as part of the Plan B you are always thinking about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment