I keep
hearing about this ‘one world-one people.’
We are all perhaps the same species but we are not like bees or ants and
even they split off and create new colony.
I want to
see people treated with respect and common kindness but I am no supporter of
the one world one people. I get flashes
of Matrix crossed with the primordial ooze, bland and undefined. To lose our ethnic identities feels heinous and
the need to strive to find ourselves would be lost. Who we are and where we
came from would no longer be a source of pride. Where would we focus our pride?
We need not suffer arrogance to have pride – personal, family, community and
country.
My husband is English and I am
American and I would never expect him to give up his nationality to become an American
and neither would he expect the same thing from me. Our countries of birth are both sources of
pride even when they are acting like ninnies.
Who would I be able to compare notes with if we all lived the same, worked the same, laughed the same. I know I am being a bit dramatic but … Where would we throw our competitive drive? What would replace that competitive spirit? What would happen to all those unique foods we eat – how could France make its claim to have the best food in the world if everyone has it? What would happen to the Olympics?
I see
nothing wrong with working together but we are unable to work together in most large corporate or government
office settings, so how are we going to find the desire to work together as
billions of people (I bet if you have ever experienced a large office setting you would see how unrealistic this idea is).
It is a
fantasy to think we can achieve a united earth of one people, a naive and idealistic
dream but then to those who think it can happen, I say, believe because dreams can
be unreasonable and dreaming is something humans do. Dreaming is good. I will
dream of opening our minds and our heart to accepting those that are different
as valuable, worthy of respect and kindness. I will dream of winning the lottery, I will dream of owning a small holding with at least one big ole billy goat, I will dream possible and impossible dreams because I amd human and I can.
I will
dream a dream or two or three as unrealistic as the ‘one world-one people’
idea but then dreams are for dreaming. It
they come true, we find new dreams and dream some more. Dreams are what move us forward, spur us on.
So dream on and dream big, or maybe even small but never, ever dream nothing at
all.
~My dreams rock!
No comments:
Post a Comment